Thursday 3 December 2015

SOULLESS BY GAIL CARRIGER REVIEW


Alexia Tarabotti is labouring under a great many social tribulations.

First, she has no soul. Second, she's a spinster whose father is both Italian and dead. Third, she was rudely attacked by a vampire, breaking all standards of social etiquette. 

Where to go from there? From bad to worse, apparently, for Alexia accidentally kills the vampire--and then the appalling Lord Maccon (loud, messy, gorgeous, and werewolf) is sent by Queen Victoria to investigate. 

With unexpected vampires appearing and expected vampires disappearing, everyone seems to believe Alexia responsible. Can she figure out what is actually happening to London's high society? Will her soulless ability to negate supernatural powers prove useful or just plan embarrassing? Finally, who is the real enemy, and do they have treacle tart?
~~~
In this stunning Victorian paranormal novel by Gail Carriger, we are once more thrust into the Finishing School world, this time with almost entirely different characters and entirely different rules. While we are greeted by a few friendly (or, not so friendly) vampiric and lycanthropic faces, this novel isn't related to Carriger's Finishing School series, so be prepared for a wild ride about good ol' London-town. 

Alexia Tarabotti is 25 years old and a total disappointment to her family, not to mention soulless and in possession of a silver-tipped parasol which enables her to kill vampires. Kill 'em dead. She is a very interesting protagonist because while she doesn't have a soul and is totally independent & sassy, she's actually very self conscious and almost broken at the beginning of the story. Her family's disappointment goes beyond that of teasing and and exhausted looks, because she's basically ended up emotionally stunted (although that could be attributed to her not having a soul) and unable to appreciate herself in any way. Towards the end of the book, however, a certain Lord Maccon changes her mind in some very magnificent ways totally void of any social etiquette. I suppose he is a werewolf, though, so we can forgive him that. 

I love this book wholeheartedly. Gail Carriger's extraordinary elegance in her storytelling and plot weaving, and her humour reminiscent of Jane Austen's novels, make Soulless the brilliant book that it is. I do not use this Jane Austen comparison lightly, however. If you love Jane Austen and the paranormal or steampunk genres, you will simply adore this book. I know Carriger is inspired by Austen, so I can understand the similarities in humour, but it's more than that. Carriger writes with a talent and voice which makes me think of her as Austen, reincarnated. I'm not saying the's copying Jane Austen, either, because while her books are comparable to Austen's wit, Carriger has her own voice which she uses masterfully. 

I found myself laughing along with this book, enjoying our strong, decisive heroine's unconventional sense of humour. In this dark, seductive world of vampires and werewolves and preternaturals, Carriger applies clever humour to lighten the mood while never distracting from the main plot. Speaking of the plot, what?! I won't give any spoilers, but I will say this. You know those dreadful books whose plots seem jumpy and off kilter, like a record skipping as it plays? This book, thank god, is absent of that nightmarish quality I've found in an obscene amount of books. It simply glides, making complete sense even when the plot twists leave you staring at the pages with your mouth hanging open. That is probably what I appreciate most about this book. Carriger handles even the difficult, cheesy, or dark scenes with grace and elegance, making them flow smoothly from one chapter to the next, while keeping you on the edge of your seat in anticipation of naked werewolves and/or brutally tortured vampires. 

It is astounding how happy this novel left me. It left me so happy that I'm afraid to read the next book, for fear of everything going wrong. Especially because (spoilers!) there's a wedding at the end of the book that made my heart swell with joy as I read it. If you are partial to the Victorian era, beautiful/complicated men, strong heroines, and the paranormal or steampunk genres, you need this book in your life. You know what else makes me think you need this book? The fact that since I've read it I've been caught by random moments when my heart swells and my throat clenches, and I can't help but smile because I'm so damn happy. 5/5 stars, and I wish you all a Happy Blogmas.

2 comments:

  1. I had to read "Pride & Prejudice" (HATED IT!) & I've read "Pride & Prejudice & Zombies", the latter was a much better book imho. I love steampunk too, I might check this one out. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete