Tuesday 15 December 2015

CHI CHI VIVA LA DIVA MATTE LIPSTICKS REVIEW


T to B: Lady Bump, Boy Magnet, Bimbo

The Chi Chi Viva La Diva lipsticks are by far my favourite lipsticks of all time. I've tried Bourjois, Rimmel, all the usual Priceline suspects, but none compare to Chi Chi. These smooth, opaque, long lasting beauties will become a staple in your collection like they are in mine - I promise!

They retail for $18.95AUD, ranging in finishes (matte, cream, etc), and can be found in Myer and Target. I've picked up three mattes: Lady Bump, Boy Magnet, and Bimbo. From the swatches, you can tell that Boy Magnet isn't as matte as the other two. I do need to warn you, readers, that when I wear Boy Magnet it really doesn't look right. What I mean by that is that online and in store it is described as a matte red with blue undertones. When I apply it, it's more a true red/orange red. You'll also be able to tell that Lady Bump isn't as opaque as the other two shades. Not to worry, though, it is easily layered up to look extremely pigmented on the lips. Other than these issues, I seriously think these lipsticks are without flaw. 

Application is easy and stress free, which, coming from someone as lipstick-challenged as me, is saying something. Due to the creamy formula and shape of the bullet (which I'll address in the next paragraph), the lipstick doesn't drag on my lips or apply patchy so I can't work up an even layer of product. If you want to top up throughout the day, however, I suggest you blot whatever product you have on your lips before hand. This will make reapplying easier than if you just slap on another coat; with these lipsticks reapplying can sometimes mean a patchy look or getting that weird crumbly/peel-y affect. This, however, isn't a huge deal for me because these lipsticks last a good three hours on me before needing any attention. They also wear very evenly and fairly unnoticeably, so I bet you could get away with not topping up your lipstick at all. (Unless you're eating or drinking, then, girl, ain't no lipstick gonna survive that.) General housekeeping rules apply when it comes to taking care of the lip colour throughout the day or evening. 

The formulation of these lipsticks is insane. For mattes, the formula is very creamy and easy to wear, so I don't feel like I've got tar on my lips. Despite the creamy formula, however, they don't bleed or slip around, so I'm at a loss as to how Chi Chi kicked so much ass with a few li'l' lipsticks. Seriously. I will say, however, that because the formula isn't as dry as, say, MAC lipsticks, they do transfer. If you're eating or drinking, you'll need to top up. If you're getting ready for a night out and have a fiddly dress you need to slip over your head, apply the lipstick afterwards. To help avoid any pink or red marks all over your face and/or clothes, you simply just have to be wary of the fact that you've got crazy paint on your lips.

For those of you out there who're particular about scents, these lipsticks have a typical lipstick smell that wears down to nothing after application. It's very inoffensive, even if it only lasts for less than a minute.  

Other than that, I'm not sure what else there is to say. I love these lipsticks, because they are perfect for my needs. Even though the colours I own are bright and by no means natural, I think they'd be perfect for beginners or neutral-lovers because they somehow manage to look completely inoffensive.  Of the shades I own, I recommend them all, but none more so than Bimbo. It's a beautiful pink shade! I would warn you of Boy Magnet, though, because it really doesn't seem very matte or blue toned. 

Comment below your favourite lipstick (it doesn't have to be Chi Chi), or any queries you have about this Viva La Diva range. Let's get a little dialogue started. Happy Blogmas, everyone! 

Application: 5/5
Staying power: 3.75/5
Smudging/transferring: 2.25/5
Even wear/fading: 5/5
Pigmentation: 5/5
Shade true to the packaging: 4/5
Scent: 5/5

2 comments:

  1. I love Rimmel Provocalips & Australis Velourlips. They both withstand eating & drinking, unless you're eating something uncommonly greasy. I've got a Chi Chi liquid lippy which is pretty good, some eye shadow palettes, nail polish sets & 4 Chi Chi fragrances. They're all good, great brand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Chi Chi eyeshadow palettes as well. I might have to check out the Rimmel Provocalips!

      Delete