Wednesday 7 January 2015

GRACE'S GUIDE: THE ART OF PRETENDING TO BE A GROWN UP BY GRACE HELBIG


I've watched Grace's Youtube videos for a long time, so when I heard she was writing a book, I couldn't not buy it, you know? I was terrified that it was going to suck and I was seriously contemplating not buying this book altogether because I didn't want to be out the money. Luckily, my worries were all for naught, as I thoroughly enjoyed it! Every page was filled with laughs, anecdotes, and strange but helpful tips that will certainly help me in life–like always having deodorant with you. At. All. Times.

Grace's humour translates very well into book form, and the way she wrote it was very candid and real. I never felt like it was some prissy little shit in a suit telling me how to live my life, but rather like I was chatting with my best friend. Grace's Guide isn't a self help book or the new gospel truth (and thaaat's the gooospel truuuuuth), more so my best friend who always has hilarious stories and advice to get me through a tough time. 

The photos, Grace's mum's words of wisdom, and the little touches here and there are what makes this book different. While it is ultimately Grace's life experience and humour that makes this book the awesome book it is, I love that someone thought to add unique little tidbits that we don't see very often in 'self help books'. While I don't like to say it's a self help book, Grace herself has said it is, but I've affectionately dubbed it my best friend. It will remain so until I find an actual human best friend to replace it. Not likely. 

I try my hardest not to be biased when writing reviews, so I should probably throw some negative things in just to even it out in case anyone thinks I'm only saying good things because enjoy Grace's Youtube videos. You can definitely tell it's Grace's first book, or maybe you can't. I'm just very picky with voices and the language attributed to different characters, but as there are no characters in this book, I don't know how to critique it. I loved this book, and have even marked various pages so I can always flit back to them when I need. I don't have any real negatives, except that I definitely think Grace needs to develop her 'book voice' more, if that makes any sense. I can't really comment on that, though, as it is her first book. 

All in all, I don't have any real complaints about this book. It was bloody brilliant, and I actually laughed out loud while reading it. That is a rare thing, by the way. Any book can make me cry at the drop of a hat, but if it makes me laugh then I've got a real winner. Grace's book wasn't only funny, she also wrote about her anxiety & panic attacks, which is a really hard thing to do. She approached this topic with a comedic twist, but was candid and real and jokey about everything in a way I've not seen any Youtube personality pull off (except maybe Hannah Hart, but she's not really addressed anxiety in depth, or has she? Shit). I love Grace, and I'm so glad I found her Youtube channel all those years ago. Grace's Guide is definitely an awesome book, and I'd highly recommend you go check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment