Friday 8 August 2014

Is Sarcasm a Bad Thing? | Miscellaneous Friday

Sarcasm is like a second language to me. I use it so much that I'm starting to find it really hard to stop. My friends could be having a really serious conversation, or I could be talking to my mum (who's overemotional and will probably cry), and I'll suddenly start using sarcasm in every sentence. I have a problem, I know, but for the most part sarcasm is supposed to be funny. So I've always found it funny. 
Is there a line to cross? Do we know where to draw that line?


I feel so bad writing this post because I really like using sarcasm, but it's such a natural thing for me that most of the time no one can tell if I'm being sarcastic or not. It's really awkward when your mum actually thinks you're being serious when you say, "No, mum, I have loads of sex." Let's just say I found it particularly hard to dig myself out of that hole. You see, when things like that happen they're funny, and eventually we all laugh it off, but I wonder if one day my epic sarcasm could get me into some epic trouble.


Don't get me wrong, I will always use sarcasm. You can't get me to stop, it's in my DNA. However, after thinking about this, I guess there is a line that we shouldn't cross. This line isn't drawn by some stupid morning TV host judging teenagers and saying we're appalling excuses for human beings (cough Kochi from Sunrise on channel 7 cough). This line isn't drawn by teens who can't take a joke and will inevitably be offended by your fabulous sarcasm. This line isn't drawn by your parents who berate your use of sarcasm because it's 'unsavoury' (please tell me my parents aren't the only ones that say this).


You draw the line. You draw the line wherever you feel comfortable. Humour is subjective, and as long as you don't feel guilty and don't hurt anyone, be as sarcastic as you want. This whole blogpost is just a bunch of bullshit, really, because you only need to remember the thing I just said. If you're feeling guilty, pull back on the sarcasm. If you hurt someone's feelings, pull back on the sarcasm.

Then head on over to Tumblr, and be a sarcastic little shit because that's where we all hang out.

~zì jiàn!~

No comments:

Post a Comment