Friday 28 February 2014

Fanfiction Friday: The Drake Chronicles #2

A Drake Chronicles Fanfiction: Viola & Solange

Disclaimer: I know, boring, but it has to be done. I don't own The Drake Chronicles and should in no way be affiliated with it, no copyright infringement intended. This story, however, is mine and I don't authorise people using any of the content on my blog without my permission. My fanfictions and stories are off limits, sorry! Enjoy this Drake Chronicles fanfic!
~~~~
Viola could hear the man's footsteps as he made his way up the tower. She wanted to run away from him and go back to Mamma, but was she dead too? Did the old man kill her whole family? She hoped not, her parents didn't deserve to die because of her stupidity. If only Tristan had agreed to run away with Viola when they had the chance, maybe there wouldn't have been any death. When Viola had been taken, Tristan had been following her, so maybe he still was. Maybe Tristan will find me, she thought desperately.

"So, how do you want to die, little girl?" the old man called up to her. He wasn't here yet, he wouldn't be expecting her to make a run for it.
"I don't want to!" Viola screamed. "Please let me go!"

Viola had been locked up in the tower for about a week now, with little food and water. Now was probably her only chance at escape. There were no guards in the tower, only a few around the stone structure, and those she could easily avoid. The old man didn't have much strength left in him, she could tell, and would be a little easier to run from.

Kill him, a voice told her. He has hurt us, wouldn't it be easier that way? It came from inside her head, but it wasn't Viola's voice. This had been going on ever since the old man clunked a hammer on her head, leaving her unconscious and possibly crazy. At least, that's what Viola told herself. It had been happening for a long time before she ever thought herself in danger.
"No, Viola. I won't let you go. Not until you tell me where your grandmother is. We have… unfinished business. I do also enjoy spending time with you, of course," the old man chuckled, his voice getting louder. He was so close.
This was Viola's chance. Distracting the old man by claiming innocence of her grandmother's whereabouts, Viola ran as quietly as possible to stand behind the old wooden door. It was locked, and too heavy for her to move, but when the old man opened it that wouldn't be a problem.

Viola's dress was once long and blue, but now it had so many rips and stains anyone could easily mistake her for a street rat. At least, if I was a street rat, I'd be running around, Viola thought solemnly, instead of a prisoner in this wretched tower. Shoving aside thoughts of self pity, Viola put a hand over her head to reach for the long knife she's hidden in the back of her dress before her capture. Why the old man hadn't thought to look there, she wasn't sure. He just hadn't thought a fifteen year old girl capable of wielding a weapon.

There was a jangling of keys on the other side of the door, heavy breathing from the exertion of climbing so many stairs, and Viola heard the metal latch on the door move. Holding the knife in front of her, Viola took a moment to think of her beloved Tristan; his gorgeous eyes, his dark hair, his smile when they looked at one another. We don't need him, the voice added. It shocked Viola, and she almost dropped the knife. No, we don't need him. But I do. Hoping that would shut the voice up for now, Viola tried to be as quiet as possible as the old man opened the door and surveyed the room.
"Oh, Viola. Why do you have to make everything so difficult? Now, put the knife down and come out from your hiding spot."
He couldn't know where she was hiding, could he? No, he is just pretending, trying to lure us out. Quick, strike him! The voice was there, but now it wasn't just a voice, she could feel something inside her growing in power. Knowing that she'd die in moments if she didn't do something made Viola realise that the voice could help. If Viola listened to the voice, instead of ignoring it as she'd done for so long, she could go back to Tristan. Good girl, now wait until he turns around and throw the knife at his heart. No! I don't want to kill him, only to get away! The knife is to distract him, I'm not a murderer! Not yet, Viola. But you will be.

That's when Viola realised that something was very wrong with her. The second Viola raised the knife, the second Viola looked at the old man, it was like the glass wall she didn't even know she'd put up around herself smashed. Viola had accidentally relinquished control of herself to the voice. Now, the voice was truly becoming part of Viola and she didn't know what to do. Father had always told Viola that her sixteenth birthday would be a special day, and it was only a few weeks away. Maybe this was what he'd meant, he knew she'd go mad. Aren't parents supposed to understand their children very deeply?

Stop it, child. You will make us cry, and that would be awfully distracting while I try to kill this bastard, wouldn't it? What's happening? Who are you and why are you doing this? Hush, we'll talk later. But you can call me Liza. And then there really was nothing Viola could do, be causes Liza was walking over to the old man. Liza was holding the knife in her right hand, making it look so easy like she knew exactly what she was doing.

Apparently she did. The next thing Viola knew, Liza moved the door out of the way and lifted the blade up high. It was at the height of the old man's chest. Viola felt truly hopeless as her arm moved back slightly and flung the knife towards her captor. She screamed.
Viola hadn't realised how sharp the blade was, because it pierced the old man's heart in a second, though it felt like years. Viola still felt the blade in her hand, she felt Liza's triumph and saw the man fall to the floor. He was so pale that his skin nearly matched his grey hair. See, now wasn't that easier than running from him? Liza's voice in Viola's head made her want to scream again. Liza was smiling, but Viola wanted to cry. Even if it was Liza that was in control of her body, the knife was in Viola's hand. It was she who had murdered a man, no matter how vicious and vile he might have been.

"Viola, be a dear and stop crying. It's awfully annoying," Liza said, wiping away the tears. So maybe I have some control over my body. I just need a powerful emotion, something strong, Viola thought. She began conjuring up all her emotions, as hard and fast as she could. Thinking of Tristan, of how Liza made Viola hurt him without even realising it; of her mother and how Madame Veronique, Viola's own grandmother, tortured her; of Viola's own torture in the tower.
"Stop it!" Liza screamed.

Viola managed enough control over her body to try and get out the word no. It sounded gurgled, but it was there. Liza couldn't control Viola like this, but Viola was tiring, maybe she should save her strength. Backing down, even voluntarily, made Viola angry. "That's better, girl. Now, let us go and find someone else to k–" No, no, no, no, no, no! Viola recited the mantra over and over. With those words, it was like everything fell into place.

Liza had had a hold on Viola long before she was captured, long before she'd even realised it. All the bad things Viola had ever done; stealing food, treating others with such disrespect, wanting to hurt people, that had all been Liza. "Well, then I guess you have no real feelings for Tristan either. Being with him isn't just a bad thing, but he would be hanged if someone was to find out. We both know that," Liza's voice rang out through the tower. She spoke loudly, as if commanding an army, as if she didn't care who heard her. No! Tristan is perfect! Viola screamed in her head. I love him, I know I do, Viola thought. 
~~~~
"Viola! Wake! Viola!" someone was calling my name, but I wasn't sure who.
"Mmm?" I opened one eye slightly, rubbing my face. It was wet, as if I'd been crying. Actually acknowledging that made me freak out a little, so I wiped the rest of them away. My mind a little clearer, everything hit me at once; Viola, being in her subconscious, the prophecy, Lucy. While Viola was sleeping, I'd been watching her dream. Damn, that was just weird. But was it real? That wouldn't make any sense at all, Viola being possessed before she possessed me, seeing as Viola had been the first Drake daughter born. Or was she?

"Viola, my sweet, are you okay?" it was Constantine. He had his arms wrapped around my body. I was only wearing a thin nightgown, which in itself creeped me out seeing as it so wasn't me. But being so close to Constantine was downright sickening.
And we were in my bed at the Blood Moon camp. Crap, crap, crap! I pushed him away from me, jumping out of bed and grabbing the first weapon I saw. It was a sword, could Viola be anymore cliché? I gripped the sword, and gave Constantine my best Helena Drake glare.
"Solange? Oh, that's disappointing. Viola did warn me that when she woke the connection would be weak. Viola, my love, can you hear me?" Constantine was trying to appeal to Viola, but I couldn't let him. I couldn't let this happen all over again. If I was back in control of my body, I could help fix all the damage I'd caused ever since my blood chance and even before that. I needed to apologise to Lucy and Nicholas, to the whole vampire population really.
Solange, go away. And Viola was back, damn it. Could I fight her? I didn't think so. Being in Viola's subconscious was helping me with that situation, and I'd much rather be out of my own head when Viola was in bed with Constantine. Could I pass up this opportunity to fight? I had to, I didn't want to, but I had to.
"Viola, come back to me!"
The last thing I saw and heard before darkness consumed me was the sword clattering to the ground. I wasn't physically strong enough to fight Viola, I'd only just woken up and my body needed blood badly. The bloodlust had slipped my mind only because I'd wanted so badly to cast Viola out of my head, and Constantine out of my bed. Now that Viola was in my body, bloodlust was the least of my worries. I had to find a way to weaken Viola, and to do that I had to learn more about her past; I had to protect Lucy and trust that she'd save the day. She knew this wasn't me, and while she was trying to get Viola out of my head and fight off the bad guys, I had my own bad guys to fight. In my own head, or at least, Viola's.
~~~~
I hope you guys liked this fanfic. It's set during the time of Blood Prophecy, when Viola is in possession of Solange's mind & body. I wanted to explore the possibility of Viola not being a total bitch, and tap into her really innocent side. Ever since reading Blood Prophecy, I've always wondered how Viola would cope is she was in Solange's situation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment