Wednesday 15 January 2014

Something old, something new: January

I couldn't be happier for 2014. Last year kind of sucked for me; school was hard, friends and boys really sucked, and a lot of my favourite book series drew to close. There were some good things that happened in 2013 as well; Gypsies and Pixies was born, I found some fantastic new books, and I bought Dark Angel on DVD. 

To welcome 2014, I thought I'd introduce something new on my blog: Something old, something new. Each month I'll talk about books I recently finished (something old), books that I'm currently reading (something new), as well as some books I'd like to read next. Because the books will only get brief mentions, these definitely aren't proper reviews - but if anyone would like some in-depth reviews, lemme know!

☆Something Old☆
I recently finished reading the Megan Chase series by one of my favourite authors, Stacia Kane. The series revolves around a girl with a tormented past, trying to get away from it and trying to live a semi-respectable life as a counsellor. The first book, Personal Demons, was excellent and I really enjoyed it. Although Megan isn't the most kick-ass heroine I've read about, she really does pack a punch, especially seeing as she's half demon. Greyson, her love interest, is an asshole at the same time he is perfect. The next book in the series, Demon Inside, was a letdown. It took me a loooong time to finish and I was ultimately disappointed with the action. The ending is awesome, but this trilogy does what a lot of others do in the sense that the second book is really boring. However, the final instalment, Demon Possessed, makes everything totally worth it! I absolutely loved this book, it's definitely the best in the series. Megson is my ship name for Meg & Greyson because holy shit they are an odd couple. Passionate fighting, makeup sex, demons out to kill them and their friends, and the deaths of a few VIP demons are all this couple needs to have a good time. 

☆Something New☆
I'm actually being really bad at the moment and reading six different books at a time, something I do a lot. I start reading one series and then feel like I have to jump into another world simultaneously. It gets tiring, but is ultimately worth it. 

Book 1: Before the Dawn by Max Allan Collins. If you're familiar with the TV series, Dark Angel, this series is basically a book version of that. The first book, the one I'm reading, is mostly a prequel to the series. You get to see what Max got up to before she met Original Cindy and the gang, you get to read about the X5's escape from Mantacore in depth, and you get to read about a girl Max knew called Lucy. I will admit to some parts of this book being pretty boring and a huge letdown, but it's worth it if you're a fan of the TV series. The main reason, and pretty much only reason, for these books was for fans of the show that were unceremoniously kicked out of the Dark Angel world when the series was cancelled. Cons aside, I'm loving this book!

Book 2: Anastasia's Secret by Susanne Dunlap. This is a lovely book revolving around the youngest Grand Duchess, Anastasia Romanov, and what life was like for her up until her imprisonment. I absolutely adored this book, it's bittersweet and so far the plot is great. I've noticed that the writing is kind of simplistic at times, but the protagonist is a young girl from a rich family so that was likely done on purpose. Anastasia also meets a boy named Sasha who, if the book had been turned into a two part series, might have saved her from execution. To be honest, I kind of love it when authors give romantic and sad historic events a happy ending. I was bad and read the last page of the book even though I'm only halfway through, but I know there isn't any happy ending for Anastasia and her family. 

Book 3: Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. I read this book a long time ago, and wanted to revisit it because I adore all the characters. It's utter perfection, especially the scene at the start of the book when the girls are all fawning over the prospect of Mr. Bingley!

Book 4: Wicca For Beginners by Thea Sabin. I'm fascinated with everything New Age and Wiccan so I thought I'd start reading about it. I've barely started it, so I don't have much to say. It's not really a how-to book, it just broadens your knowledge of everything Wiccan. It sucks that it's for the Northern Hemisphere though, as all the sabbats in Australia would be completely reversed. 

Book 5: Ashes by Ilsa J. Bick. I'm currently working on a review for this book and reading it at the same time because this way I can do a really detailed review for you all. For this reason, I'm not going to say much about it except that I'm loving it!

Book 6: Bleeding Hearts by Alyxandra Harvey. You all know how much I love the Drake Chronicles, I've already read Bleeding Hearts and I'm simply rereading it because I can. Christabel and Lucy crack me up, and I love it when Connor and Nicholas are really protective of their respective girlfriends. 

☆Something To Look Forward To☆
Next I'll be reading Storm Born by Richelle Mead. I've read Vampire Academy, which was pretty good, and Succubus Blues which was outstanding. I know I'm quite late with reading Storm Born as it came out while the Succubus Blues series wasn't finished, but I'm finally going to bite the bullet. I'm also going to be reading Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare so I can get ahead of my class, seeing as school doesn't start for another two & a half weeks. I'm such a nerd. 

~Au Revoir!~
Links: 




No comments:

Post a Comment