Friday 31 January 2014

Fanfiction Friday: The Drake Chronicles

A Drake Chronicles Fanfiction: Christabel & Connor

Disclaimer: I know, boring, but it has to be done. I don't own The Drake Chronicles and should in no way be affiliated with it, no copyright infringement intended. This story, however, is mine and I don't authorise people using any of the content on my blog without my permission. My fanfictions and stories are off limits, sorry! Enjoy this Drake Chronicles fanfic!
~~~~
I'd read about vampires in poems, how they were doomed to forevermore live out their days brooding in dark chambers. That really isn't far off from the truth, or at least for me it isn't. 

It's been a month since I was turned into a Na-Foir, a mysterious type of vampire unknown to most other vampires. A month since I'd been kidnapped because some asshole thought I was Lucy, my cousin. I don't think anyone has ever spoken to her about that in depth, apart from me. Still, no one will really acknowledge that it was her that's supposed to be a vampire.

As hard as it is to be a vampire, I'm glad I took my younger cousin's place. Growing up, when I'd spend summers in Violet Hill, she's always taken charge and looked after me. I felt obligated now that I was a vampire to return the favour, except it's kind of hard with the bloodlust and all. Connor makes it look manageable, sometimes even easy, but I know that all the Drake siblings struggle. 
~~~~
"Christa, when you asked me to come over, this isn't exactly what I thought we'd be doing," Connor remarked. He'd been lounging on my bed for about half an hour, looking gorgeous despite wearing just jeans and some sci-fi T-shirt. I however, was representing my most disgusting self in really old pj shorts and a grey sloppy-jo. Classy.
"What, watching me type on my laptop doesn't fascinate you?"
"Well, no. However, you coming over here might fascinate me," Connor grinned, gesturing to the other half of the bed that wasn't occupied by him. 
I'm still technically living with the Drakes, but every now and then I'll go back to the Hamilton's when I know they won't be there. It'd be too hard with Cass and Stuart there as well as Lucy. Besides, I really did love this house, especially my room. Before I was turned, I hadn't really bothered with decorating it, despite Lucy's protests. There were still tea cups on the windowsill, an afghan lying at the bottom of my unmade bed and combat boots on the floor. Almost normal. 

"God, you sound like Quinn," I feigned a look of horror and shut my laptop. No one needed to know that I was writing an autobiography of sorts detailing my time in Violet Hill. It's not like anyone would ever get to read it. "But, I guess I can finish this later."
"What is this, exactly? You've been typing nonstop since I got here, which is kind of rude."
"Nothing. But I could just finish it, seeing as you seem quite content moaning about it."
Connor gave me a lopsided grin. It was adorable, although I'd never say that to his face. I moved off my desk chair and onto the bed, burrowing myself into the covers. Now that I was a vampire, being cold wasn't an issue, but it made me feel human again. 
I really missed being human.

Connor hugged me closer so that my back was against his chest. He smelled like liquorice, and I couldn't get enough of it. 
"You okay?" 
I was momentarily surprised, but he'd probably seen the look that had been plastered on my face for most of my vampiric life. "I'm fine, why?" I didn't exactly want to have another annoying yet well-meaning heart to heart with someone. 
He snorted. Ass. "Christa, a month ago you didn't know vampires existed and now you are one. You aren't fine because now, you can't even eat pizza," he didn't say this rudely, he whispered it into my ear. Connor really did desperately want to help me, but that terrified me. 
"Presently my soul grew stronger; hesitating then no longer," I quoted The Raven under my breath. I'm not sure why that line came to me, but Connor seemed to understand what I meant well enough.
"I'm glad you're sure of yourself and all that, but seriously? Poe? He's so depressing." 
"The best poets are. But I'm okay, Connor, really. I mean being a vampire isn't exactly how I'd expected to spend my senior year of high school, but I'm okay."

I guess he deemed that a good enough response because after that he dropped the subject. We laid on my bed for ages, not saying much, finally taking the time to relax after everything that had happened in Violet Hill. Politics, death, crazy families, vampires. It still scared the crap out of me, and I think Connor knew that, but he didn't say anything because that's who he is. Him bringing up that pizza thing was a little out of character. 

Now that everything had changed in my life, I knew that I'd always be acting out of character. I wasn't human anymore, and no matter how much that scared me, I had Connor, the Drakes, and Lucy to help me through it. I may not be the same species, I may not be who I was a month ago, but I'm still Christabel. My favourite book is still Jane Eyre and I still wear leather jackets. My life was never a fairytale, and it never will be, but it is a story. My character has just evolved into someone a little bit different, and if I think of it like that, then being a vampire sounds exciting. Connor's snoring, however? Not so much.
~~~~
I hope you all enjoyed it! This fanfiction is a little bit different from what I usually write, but I've been wanting to write a Connabel (my ship name for them, haha) fanfic for a while. I wanted to show a slightly more of an angsty side to Conner and a vulnerable side to Christabel seeing as they're always hiding behind nerdy facades. If anyone has any ideas or requests for the next FANFICTION FRIDAY, let me know in the comments!

~Au Revoir!~

No comments:

Post a Comment