Friday 28 November 2014

The Rising by Kelley Armstrong | Review

Things are getting desperate for Maya and her friends. Hunted by the powerful St. Clouds and now a rival Cabal as well, they're quickly running out of places to hide. And with the whole world thinking they died in a helicopter crash, it's not like they can just go to the authorities for help.

All they have is the name and number of someone who might be able to give them a few answers. Answers to why they're so valuable, and why their supernatural powers are getting more and more out of control. 

But Maya is unprepared for the truths that await her. And now, like it or not, she'll have to face down some demons from her past if she ever hopes to move on with her life. Because Maya can't keep running forever. 


Maya and her friends wonder why they and their powers are so valuable, while I however don't see how this story is at all valuable. Seriously, I've tried to like this series, but this final book in the Darkness Rising trilogy was a DNF (did not finish). I struggled through the book until reaching chapter 43, then I promptly gave up. Couldn't do it anymore.

You know what's sad? Maya and her gang had just met Chloe, Derek, Tori, Simon, Lauren, and Kit from the Darkest Powers trilogy. That's what I was holding out for in this book, the only reason why I persisted. And boy was it a let down. My beloved Chloe, the whole Genesis gang, their characters were stripped apart and written so stupidly. It's like everything that happened in the Darkest Powers trilogy suddenly got thrown out the window, the characters I love along with it. They were written as to fit into Maya's story, and I had serious trouble seeing any of Chloe or Derek or Tori or Simon in the brief moments I read of them. I did stop after only being reunited with them for two chapters, though. 

God dammit I'm annoyed at Maya. She reminds me of the most annoying, awful protagonist I've ever read. Ever. Zooey Redbird of the House of Night series (worst series ever, don't read it), is so similar to Maya that I wanted to rip my hair our. Yet again, what character development? I'm so done trying to be somewhat positive about this series, because this final instalment has lowered the tone and was by far the worst book of the three. No character development, crappy attempts at humour, not staying true to the project Genesis gang, boring. Boring, oh so boring.

Let me just say now that I do adore Kelley Armstrong and all her other books. However, every author I love is bound to write a book or series that I just don't like. That's okay, because we're all entitled to our own opinions. Even if mine might come across as pretty harsh, I just needed to vent about how much time I've wasted on these books. It took me maybe three hours to finish each book, so that's nine hours I'll never get back. I usually hate to have this attitude about books, because I want to believe that there's always something to learn from every story I read. The Darkness Rising trilogy didn't teach me anything, no life lessons that I can apply to my life, no cool facts that I could use. 

The only real emotion I feel after reading this book (aside from annoyance) is.. well, nothing. Parts of the book that I'm sure were supposed to be serious cliff hangers or crazy action packed scenes seemed so boring to me. Lacklustre writing, storyline, and characters make for a #disappointed Jesse. 2/5 stars! Hopefully next time I won't have such an angsty post, maybe a Positive Post to balance out my chi. 

No comments:

Post a Comment